Sermon Outline, December 30, 2018, “Finding Contentment”
A. Paul learned the secret of being content.
- He didn’t always have it.
- He wasn’t instantly granted it by God.
- He had to go through seasons of testing.
B. Seasons of Comfort
- In Christ I have the only thing that will truly satisfy the desires of my heart.
- Proverbs 30:8-9 (ESV)Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
9 lest I be full and deny you
and say, “Who is the Lord?”
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God.
- We must fight to stay needy and continue to depend on God.
C. Seasons of Suffering
- In Christ I have something that can never be taken away.
- Phil. 4:13 could be restated as follows: I can be content in any situation through him who strengthens me.
D. Seasons of Waiting
- In Christ I have everything I need right now.
- Matthew 6:34 (NIV) Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.